Is the Anwar Ibrahim mentioned in this historic declaration the same person who is aspiring to be the future Prime Minister of Malaysia?
STATUTORY DECLARATION of former Bank Negara assistant Governor Datuk Abdul Murad Khalid - made on 28 October, 1999.
I, Datuk Abdul Murad Bin Khalid (NRIC No. 531215-08-5957), a Malaysiancitizen of full age and care of No 104, Jalan Setiabakti 9, BukitDamansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:
1. On 16th September 1999 I was charged with failing to disclosetruthfully information on Ben Harta Sdn Bhd (BHSB) shares and 51 of itsproperties allegedly held for my benefit pursuant to section 87(2)(c)Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989 (BAFIA).
2. In order to do justice for my own sake, I must make a public declaration on certain matters connected with the various positions I heldin Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) so as to show to the public at large the nature and stresses/strains that were attendant to these positions. This public statement is also intended to provide the public with the proper perspectives of the machinations of the former Deputy PrimeMinister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (DSAI) who was also the Finance Ministerand hence the Minister directly in command of BNM.
3. As one of the top executives in BNM, I invariably came into contactwith Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim who took a liking for me and subsequently entrusted me to carry out some of his instructions, what has to come to be believed by me now to further his political ambitions. In futherance of his political scheme, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim instructed me to implement certain corporate exercises in favour of his friends and cronies. The debts of his cronies were cleared/settled using the profits from deals using the influence of BNM.
4. Amongst the most significant corporate exercises is the takeover of Sikap Power, the concession holder of the Independent Power Project (IPP)at Lumut, Perak. The concession was sold to MRCB on the instruction of Datuk Seri AnwarIbrahim and MRCB later injected the concession into Malakof Berhad, whichis the subsidiary of MRCB. I believe that a profit of about RM50 million from this deal went to oneof DSAI's political funds.
5. A male Chinese named Tong Kooi Ong is also involved significantly inraising financial assistance for Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. Tong Kooi Ong is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Phileo AlliedBerhad, which is listed on the Main Board of the KLSE. Phileo Allied Bank is also under the control of Tong Kooi Ong. Tong Kooi Ong came into contact with Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim on myintroduction and they subsequently became very close. Tong Kooi Ong subsequently disclosed to me that in return for thefavours granted to him by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, he had established a"Master Account" under his control, from which financial contributionscould be made for the interests of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. This Master Account is to derive revenues from the holding of shares andbuildings. At one point Tong Kooi Ong confided in me that the Master Account wasworth RM200 million based on the values of shares and building assigned toit.
6. I believe there are at least 20 other "Master Accounts" establishedfor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim by his various cronies. I believe that the total funds in these 20 Master Accounts run into morethan RM3 billion. DSAI's modus operandi is to divide and rule and the operator of eachMaster Account is not aware of the existence of the other Master Accounts. I believe the Government is aware of who these cronies are.
7. As far as I know and through my own involvement, more than RM120million had been paid to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, his cronies and theorganisations he used to advance his own political ambitions. For example, it is within my personal knowledge that on the instructionsof Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim funds from the Master Account was paid tohimself and the following persons and organisations known to be affiliatedor connected to him between 1992 to 1997: (1) to himself (DSAI) - RM50 million (2) Dato Abdullah Ahmad (UN) - RM5 million (3) Dato Nasaruddin Jalil - RM10 million (4) Asia Pacific Policy Centre (APPC) & Douglas H. Paal - RM38 million(USD 10.0 million) (5) Institut Kajian Dasar (IKD) - RM5 million (6) Aliran & Dr Chandra Muzaffar - RM5 million (7) ABIM - RM5 million (8) International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT) - RM2 million (9) A UK-based Islamic Foundation - RM1 million Total - RM121 Million
8. I am also informed that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim instructed Tong KooiOng to take into his employ Puan Shamsidar and one Encik Rahman, which hedid. Puan Shamsidar is the wife of Encik Azman Ali, the Private Secretaryto Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. It is widely known that Puan Shamsidar is generously remunerated and isprovided with a car and driver and most of the time she did not need to goto work.
9. I must make a special mention of the American based organisationcalled Asia Pacific Policy Centre (APPC) headed by Douglas H. Paal, theformer Senior Director from Asian Affairs (1989 to 1993) of the NationalSecurity Council (NSC) of the United States of America. Douglas H. Paal left the National Security Council to start APPC in 1993funded mainly by contributions from Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. I was responsible for arranging USD 10 million in contributions to APPCand Douglas H. Paal on Datuk Seri Anwar's instructions. I believe that other cronies of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim also madesubstantial contributions to APPC and Douglas H. Paal. Although I cannotascertain the exact quantum of their contributions I am convinced they raninto millions of US Dollars. APPC and Douglas H. Paal are one of the mainvehicles used by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to promote his image in theWestern countries, mainly in Washington, USA and the United Kingdom andother European nations. APPC also lobbied strongly for Datuk Seri AnwarIbrahim with the international media organisations.
10. APPC organised "The Pacific Dialogue" conferences under thepatronage of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. The First Pacific Dialogue was heldin Penang sometime in November 1994. The Second Pacific Dialogue was heldin January 1996, the Third Pacific Dialogue in November 1996 and theFourth Pacific Dialogue in January 1998. There was supposed to be a FifthPacific Dialogue to be held in December 1998 but it was cancelled becausethe Patron was no longer the Deputy Prime Minister anf Finance Minister ofMalaysia. All the Pacific Dialogue conferences were held in Malaysiabecause Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was the major source of funding for APPC.
11. In what I believe as tantamount to a betrayal of public trust, DatukSeri Anwar Ibrahim also insisted that APPC should manage BNM's reserves ofRM50 billion and the EPF fund in return for the services provided to himby APPC. Alternatively a hefty fee of USD 3 million was to be paidannually to APPC for the cost of running the Centre in Washington.Fortunately this instruction of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim for APPC tomanage the above funds was never put into effect. What I have stated abovegoes to prove without doubt that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was indeed anunscrupulous leader who was prepared to sacrifice the country's coffersfor the benefit of its political ambition with the help of foreignelements. The current developments that are taking place in the countrywhich threatened the public peace and well being of the Rakyat to furtherDatuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's political ambition are ample proof to supportthis assertion.
12. I was also directed by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, then alreadyappointed as the Finance Minister, to assist the following persons toclear their debts as described below: a) Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim instructed me to settle the debt of Tan SriAbdullah Ahmad (now the permanent representative to the United Nations)with Bank Bumiputra of more than RM10 million. I helped to negotiate thesettlement amount of RM7 million. An amount of RM5 million was taken fromMaster Account to help pay the debt. The balance of RM2 million came fromTan Sri Abdullah Ahmad from the sale of his land. b) Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim instructed me to help settle Puan MarinaYusof's debt with local banks amounting to more than RM20 million. Ipresented her application to the Tabung Pemulihan Usahawan (TPU) forassistance to develop her land along Jalan Tun Razak, on which is now thecompleted Complex Marinara. The TPU panel approved her application. PuanMarina Yusof is extremely grateful to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. c) Penang based Mercury Securities owed MUI Bank more than RM10 millionsecured by a third party land charge. The majority shareholder is ChewSeng Guan and one Encik Ahmad Kamal whom Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim groomedto be an up-and-coming Bumiputra businessman and politician. Isubsequently helped to arrange for the sale of the land to Matang Emas SdnBhd, a company owned by Taib Hamid, the sale of which incidently alsosorted out some of Taib's personal problems. The same piece of land waslater sold to TPPT Sdn Bhd by Encik Taib for a low cost housing projectwhich is now known as Taman Tun Perak. d) Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim instructed me to help Dato' Nazri Abdullah'sGroup to take over NST Group from Renong. I sought the assistance of HongLeong Group to structure the deal. I spoke to Seow Lun Hoo and Quek LengChan of Hong Leong. They proposed that Dato' Nazri's Group use MRCB asvehicle to take over the shares of NST. I then spoke to Maybank to arrangea loan for Dato' Nazri to buy into MRCB and another loan for MRCB to buyinto NST. e) I was directed by Datuk Seri Anwar to help Encik Faiz Abdullah (DatukSeri Anwar Ibrahim's ghost writer), together with Seow Lun Hoo of HongLeong to buy into Kewangan Usaha Bersatu Berhad (KUBB), then owned byIdris Hydraulic Berhad. The scheme involved using Arus Murni Berhadformerly known as Timuran Berhad, a company listed on the Main Board ofKLSE as the holding company. I approached the following banks to helpsyndicate the loan for the purchase of KUBB shares costing above RM400million. 1. Hong Leong Bank 2. Hong Leong Finance 3. Sime Bank 4. RHB Bank5. Southern Bank 6. BSN Commercial Bank. Faiz Abdullah is a very cleverghost writer and a political operator for Datul Seri Anwar Ibrahim. He isalso a lawyer, ex-journalist and ex-Special Branch police officer.
13. My involvement with Tong Kooi Ong and "Master Account" infurtherance of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's instructions landed me introuble with the law. On 16th September 1999, I was charged with failingto disclose truthfully information on Ben Harta Sdn Bhd shares and 51 ofits properties allegedly held for my benefit totalling RM23.9 million.
14. I must state that I never knew the two gentlemen purportedly to bethe shareholders of Ben Harta Sdn Bhd i.e. Gan Hong Sin @ Lan Hong Singand Gan Sor Ting. Tong Kooi Ong did indicate to me that this company holdsproperty and shares as part of the scheme to raise funds for Datuk SeriAnwar. I have never been shown or seen the books of the Master Accounthandled by Tong Kooi Ong. I am not aware of any shares held by Ben Hartaon my behalf, nor the locations of the 51 properties allegedly also heldon my behalf, except one (1) apartment and one (1) bungalow which I wasentrusted to maintain for purpose of investment and to be later sold forthe Master Account.
15. I strongly believe that wrong information has been given to theauthorities implicating me with Ben Harta Sdn Bhd. I point my finger atTong Kooi Ong and the two shareholders of Ben Harta. They have implicatedme to save their own skin.
16. Apart from the properties held under Ben Harta Sdn Bhd, I also knowthat a few properties have been bought for investment under the MasterAccount and for Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's future personal use. Theseproperties located around Kuala Lumpur are valued at about RM15 million.
17. As regards the damaging policies adopted by BNM following theeconomic recession in July 1997, I must categorically state that I wasopposed strongly to these policies. I opposed the "Legal Lending Limit",the reduction of NPLs (non-performing loans) from 6 months to 3 months,the "Credit Crunch" introduced in October 1997 and the Higher Rate ofInterest. These were all policies endorsed and adopted by Datuk Seri AnwarIbrahim. A few concerned BNM officers/executives and I tried to halt thesepolicies from being implemented. Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim even censured mefor speaking out against these policies. He accused me of being "too closeto the market". I now realise that these harsh measures were Datuk SeriAnwar Ibrahim's political plan to crush the economy and bring Malaysia toits knees in order to invite in the International Monetary Fund (IMF) toover the Prime Minister's position.
18. Following my arrest and my subsequent resignation as ExecutiveDirector of RHB Bank Berhad I have thought over my involvement with DatukSeri Anwar Ibrahim and have come to realise that what I have done, thoughas I said earlier was forced upon me as one of the Executives in BNM, isindeed very regrettable. I now realise that I have been exploited and madeuse of by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to hold assets for his political andpersonal use and benefit. These assets including those held under BenHarta, do not belong to me. As such, it is up to the Government to takethe necessary legal action in respect of their disposal, includingforfeiture if permissible.
19. I now call upon all peace loving and loyal citizens of Malaysia toreject all the political manoeuvres by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and hissupporters and instead support all the economic and fiscal efforts tobring back the economic well being of the country. I am ever ready andwilling to go public to denounce the improprieties and machinations ofDatuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in furtherance of his political ambitions thatare indeed detrimental to national peace, security and politicalstability.
20. In conclusion I state in unequivocal terms that this PressConference/Release made by way of Statutory Declaration was made by mevoluntarily, without any inducement, threat or promise or coercion fromany quarter, nor in return for any favours or special treatment inconnection with the charge that I am now facing AND I make this solemndeclaration conscientiously, believing the same to be true and by virtueof the Statutory Declaration Act, 1960.
Signed by the abovenamed
Dato' Abdul Murad bin Khalid
28 October 1999.
p/s Is the Anwar Ibrahim implicated in this revealing declaration the same guy who is going all out to tarnish and topple the current Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak ?
Why Anwar is constantly attacking Najib while conveniently ignoring the follies of Abdullah Ahmad the grandson of Badawi?
Is it because Najib is the real stumbling block as he knows Anwar in and out, and because he enjoys 'real' grassroot support of Umno?
Pls, help me 'decipher' this guy ... for if we continue to ignore history, the dark-ages of the late 90s could return.
1MDB: Penyelesaian Atas Kertas - A Kadir Jasin *بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ* *ADALAH* kebiasaan dalam dunia politik dan korporat bagi pesertanya mengalu-alukan berita baik kera...
5 hours ago